SOC 262 Week 4 Individual Assignment the Latino/Hispanic Ethnic Group
Instructions: Write a 625- to 850-word paper. The Latino/Hispanic group is the only ethnic category counted separately by the United States Census. According to the U.S. Census, a Latino/Hispanic person can be of any race. Describe the variability within the larger "Latin American" group, as defined by the U.S. Census, including the racial differences. Include in the paper:
- When this census category became official (the first time it was used in the United States Census)
- At least five distinctive subgroups that belong under this broad category
- How people from Africa, both slaves and freemen, became part of the Latino population in Mexico, Central and South America, and the U.S.
- How Africans in Mexico, Central and South America were absorbed into the Hispanic population, while generally being kept separate in the U.S.
- How colorism affects membership within the Hispanic/Latino group today (i.e. a Mexican who is Black)
- The role of language
- The role of religion
- The role of culture Format your paper consistent with appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your paper to the Assignment Files tab.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.