SOC 262 ENTIRE COURSE
SOC 262 Week 1 Individual Assignment Definition of Race
Instructions: Write a 525- to 700-word paper discussing the current view that race is a social construction supported by political realities. Include the following:
- How does this view compare with the traditional, biological view of race?
- What are motivating factors for early Americans to construct race and racial categories?
- Which approach - assimilation, melting pot, fusion and/or pluralism matches most closely to the new definition of race in contemporary America?
- Which definition of race do you support? Why? Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 2 Individual Assignment Discrimination, Prejudice, Racism, and Stereotyping
Instructions: Participate in class discussion to actively contribute to your educational process. Although Instructions: Create a PowerPoint® presentation of 9 to 12 slides that you will present in an urban, racially diverse high school. Compare and contrast each term: discrimination, prejudice, racism, institutional racism, and stereotyping. Make the presentation relevant to the lives of urban students in a racially diverse school. Include the following:
- Introduction and conclusion slides
- Detailed speaker notes
- Specific content referring to the lives of students in urban, mixed-race schools
- How institutional racism is present in many urban schools
- How racism, discrimination, and prejudice often exist in an urban high school Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 2 Individual Assignment White Privilege and Colorism Worksheet
Instructions: Answer questions on the White Privilege and Colorism Worksheet. Write a 350- to 700-word essay comparing and contrasting White privilege and colorism, using the answers on the worksheet. Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 3 Individual Assignment Native American Group
Instructions: Write a 525- to 700-word paper answering the following: Select an official Native American group (one on the official federal list). Specifically answer these questions:
- Where are they located in the U.S. today?
- Were they forcibly removed from their ancestral lands? How?
- Do they have a reservation today?
- What is their legal standing with the U.S. government?
- How many enrolled members are there in the tribe?
- How is tribal membership defined?
- What form of government do they practice? Can both men and women be on the governing body?
- Do they have an official language other than English or Spanish? Is the language taught in Indian schools? Format your presentation consistent with appropriate course-level APA guidelines and a reference list, if needed. Submit your paper to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 3 Individual Assignment Student Autobiography Worksheet
Instructions: Complete the Student Autobiography Worksheet form about your family's background (all that you know or can find out). Combine the answers from the worksheet into a 350- to 700-word statement defining your complex identity. Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 4 Individual Assignment the Latino/Hispanic Ethnic Group
Instructions: Write a 625- to 850-word paper. The Latino/Hispanic group is the only ethnic category counted separately by the United States Census. According to the U.S. Census, a Latino/Hispanic person can be of any race. Describe the variability within the larger "Latin American" group, as defined by the U.S. Census, including the racial differences. Include in the paper:
- When this census category became official (the first time it was used in the United States Census)
- At least five distinctive subgroups that belong under this broad category
- How people from Africa, both slaves and freemen, became part of the Latino population in Mexico, Central and South America, and the U.S.
- How Africans in Mexico, Central and South America were absorbed into the Hispanic population, while generally being kept separate in the U.S.
- How colorism affects membership within the Hispanic/Latino group today (i.e. a Mexican who is Black)
- The role of language
- The role of religion
- The role of culture Format your paper consistent with appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your paper to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 5 Individual Assignment Asian-Americans
Instructions: Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper on Asian-Americans. On many indicators of success, such as income and education, Asian-Americans, while a distinct minority, surpass Whites in America. Why is this? Include the following:
- Cultural value of Asians toward education
- History of discrimination in the U.S.
- Similarities and differences between Asian values and the dominant American values
- Extended family behaviors
- Cultural values toward authority, both personal and institutional
- Respect of adults Format your paper consistent with appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your paper to the Assignment Files tab.
SOC 262 Week 5 Individual Assignment the Nature of Racial and Ethnic Relationships in the U.S. Today
Instructions: Create a PowerPoint® presentation of 9 to 12 slides. In the 2000 census, people of mixed-race were allowed to select more than one race for their racial category. This change reflected a national increase in:
- The acceptance of interracial couples
- The number of interracial relationships (formal and informal)
- The number of individuals who identify with two or more races. Consider the following:
- How does this change reflect racial and ethnic diversity in the US, racial tolerance and the future of race relationships in the U.S.? Include in the presentation:
- An introductory and conclusion slide
- References, including at least four references beyond the textbook (they can be others from the class) • Extensive speaker notes Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.