NTC 248 Week 5 Individual Assignment Design a Network
Instructions: You are a Network Engineer for an IT consulting company. Your supervisor has tasked you with designing a network for your company's newest client. The client business details are as follows:
- 50 employees - half Sales office and half Business office users
- 2 subnets - separate LANs within the office, 30 hosts per subnet (25 employees, 1 printer and 2 servers, and 2 more available addresses)
- 2 network printers - 1 per subnet
- 1 connection to the WAN/Internet
- 1 core router with 2 Ethernet interfaces (1 for each existing subnet) and 1 Serial for WAN
- Each subnet using 1 switch for all hosts
- Plan for growth for up to 6 subnets, which do not need to be in the diagram Develop a subnet scheme using the following information:
- You have been assigned an IP address and subnet mask: 192.168.111.0 /24. Plan to support two subnets and allow for growth to as many as 6 subnets in the future.
- Subnet 1 will be used to provide a range of IP addresses for the Sales office users connected to a switch. The switch will connect to an Ethernet interface on the core router.
- Subnet 2 will be used to provide a range of IP addresses connected to the other Ethernet interface of the core router with a switch for the Business office users. The router IP addresses on the Ethernet ports for both networks will be the last useable IP address from the respective network. The Sales and Business office each will have one printer per network. It will be assigned the first useable IP address for the respective networks. Step 1: Create a 1-page logical network diagram using Microsoft® Visio® showing the components and devices needed to build a simple office network based on the subnet scheme you developed. Step 2: Write a 1- to 2-page executive summary using Microsoft® Word describing how to determine the number of host and subnets needed for this task and how to determine the custom subnet mask. Include as part of the paper:
- A table identifying for each subnet the subnet address, subnet mask in dotted decimal, highest useable address, lowest useable address, and broadcast address
- The IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address for the printer in the Sales office and the printer in the Business office
- Detail the addressing scheme of the logical network diagram you created in Step 1 for the router, switches, servers, and printer interfaces along with the network addresses for the two existing subnets. Make sure to copy and paste the Visio® diagram into this Word document. Do not submit Microsoft® Visio® files.
- Recommended connectivity protocols to the WAN and for future expansion using 2 additional routers within the organization Submit your logical network diagram and executive summary using the Assignment Files Tab. Make sure to include a cover page and references, if applicable. These pages do not count toward the page count for the assignments.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.