MGT 521 Week 2 Individual Assignment Strategic analysis and recommendations for [Company] Develop a presentation that defines key concepts in strategic planning, compares the mission statement of your organization against others, and makes recommendations about improving your organization's strategy planning and implementation
Instructions: Purpose of Assignment This activity will provide you an opportunity to:
- Define and apply basic management concepts for building a strategic plan.
- Compare and analyze the strategy or your organization against the strategy of a competitive organization, and make recommendations for improving your organization's planning and implementation.
- Build or enhance your professional network by engaging with an organizational leader.
- Develop or improve essential presentation development skills using Microsoft PowerPoint. Resources:
- Management: A Practical Introduction, Table 6.1
- Other course materials
- Chosen organization's mission, vision, and value statements, and strategic plan,
- BLS Industries at a Glance. Assignment Steps This assignment provides you with a fill-in-the-blanks Microsoft PowerPoint template that will walk you step-by-step to build the foundation of a presentation for understanding planning concepts and practices and applying them to improve your organization. In short, you will define key planning concepts, compare the mission, vision, and values of your organization against a competitive organization, and make recommendations for improving strategic planning and action at your organization. Prepare by gathering the information and resources you need to complete the activity. 1. Select a business or organization. This can include the following:
- The organization where you work
- An organization for which you would like to work
- Your own business
- Identify a similar or competitive organization that has a website with their vision, mission, and values (usually in an "About Us" section.
- Identify key concepts in management planning in the course materials, including Mission, Vision, Core Competency, and Strategic Goal.
- Download the WK2 Strategic Analysis Template from the Student Materials section of the assignment instructions. If you've never used Microsoft PowerPoint, consider viewing the Welcome to PowerPoint 2016 training module on the Microsoft PowerPoint Training site. Build a presentation using the provided template, which will guide you to do the following:
- Provide an introduction (hook, summarize what you will accomplish, explain how you will accomplish it)
- Define key concepts you will apply in the presentation (mission, vision, core competency, strategic goals)
- Compare your organization's mission, vision, and values against those of the competitive organization. 4. Make recommendations for improving your organization's vision and mission based on your analysis 5. Identify your organization's core competencies.
- Examine your organization's core competencies based on established definitions. Include a rationale for the selection of these core competencies.
- Summarize your organization's strategic goals.
- Evaluate whether your organization's current behavior and business goals are aligned to its mission, vision, values, and core competencies.
- Make recommendations for how your organization can align its actions with strategy.
Individual Jan 29, 2018 11:59 PM 10
- Apply lessons learned in this assignment to define your personal mission and vision as an adult student.
- Provide a References Cited list as your final slide. Submit your assignment
- Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Success tips:
- This assignment provides a fill-in-the-blanks PowerPoint presentation to help guide your development of this assignment, and to focus you on learning and applying the key concepts from this week. Keep things simple. Focus on the content and don't worry about getting lost in design. Simply replace the instructions and prompts in [brackets]. Make sure you support your ideas with research and proper citations. This will help you build credibility and assure integrity. That means a citation (name, date) after each borrowed idea and a references cited slide in the back. Consider talking with an organizational leader about the organizational strategy, asking the leader about the mission statement, vision statement, core competencies, strategic goals, and strategic alignment. You can use the discussion as a source for the assignment
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.