MGT 521 Week 1 Individual Assignment Worksheet: Applying management concepts for success at school and work Use the provided worksheet to guide your reading. Provide brief responses in each cell of the worksheet to demonstrate your understanding and application of key management concepts. Learn and practice attribution skills to support credibility and assure integrity of your work
The driving question behind this activity is "How can I apply key concepts from Management for success in school and career?" To help you answer this question, this activity provides opportunity for you to understand and apply key management concepts and tools from this week's materials to identify opportunities for becoming more efficient and effective at work while you pursue an MBA. By completing the provided worksheet, you will gather concepts, resources, and tools for building future assignments, and that can provide immediate benefits in your job and relationships, including:
- Identify and apply course concepts for success at school, work, and community
- Enhance credibility and assure integrity by supporting your ideas with research
- Automate management of research and attributions to save time, establish credibility, and Proactive time management
Since many of the concepts in this course may be new or presented in a different perspective than your experience, consider starting to work on this early in the week. Learning has a time component; so, relying on just-in-time management to complete the assignment and other weekly activities might get the job done, but you may miss learning value available through the exercise, while you risk missing deadlines designed to keep you focused and on track.
Required Content Resources
- Garner, S. (Producer), & Boland, M. (Director). (2011). Management styles explained [Video]. Films on Demand. Retrieved December 09, 2017, from https://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=18566&xtid=44682
- Kinicki, A., & Williams, B. K. (2016). Management: A practical introduction (17 ed.). New York, NY, USA: McGraw Hill Education.
Recommended Attribution tools
- Attributions: Become an instant APA expert
- Attributions: Add a citation and create a bibliography [Microsoft>]
- Attributions: Create a References Cited page [Microsoft >]
Complete each empty cell in the "Management Concepts and Applications Worksheet" to define and apply key concepts from this week's materials, as follows:
- Define. In the "Define" column, explain the concepts using course materials or other credible sources.
- Keep your definitions brief, 50-75 words.
- Success tip: DO NOT copy and paste definitions; make sure the definitions represent your own learning with proper citations.
- Cite. In the "Cite" column, provide an in-text citation for your concepts.
- This assignment should include at least two sources, "Management: A practical introduction" textbook and the "Management styles explained" video.
- Success tip: DO NOT pull your definitions off Internet searches; using the premium resources you're paying for will help you tap value for your tuition investment, improve your learning, and assure the integrity of your work.
- Competency tip: Use the Microsoft Word "Citations & Bibliography" features under the Microsoft Word References tab to automate your referencing.
- Enter the details about your sources under "Manage Sources", make sure you select "Style > APA" 2. Use "Insert Citation" to insert your citation at the point of every borrowed idea. You will also use the "Bibliography > References" for the References Cited section at the end of the document.
- Apply. In the "Apply" column, answer each question, focusing on how you can apply the concept for success in your MBA program or in your career.
- Keep your responses brief, no more than 100 words per cell.
Build a References Cited page in APA format.
- Make sure you have entered your sources using the Manage Sources option under the References Tab, and inserted citations using the References > Insert Citation feature.
- Place your cursor under the "References" heading at the end of the worksheet.
- Under the "References" heading at the end of the worksheet, select > Bibliography > References". This will automatically build your References Cited list using the information you entered using the "Manage Sources" option.
- For the final touch, make sure you have selected Style > APA under the References Tab.
Competency Tip: The initial application of the Microsoft Word References Tab might seem a bit confusing, but the feature will save you many hours of work in the program by allowing you to automate the tedious attribution process, and help you integrate research across all your courses. Once you've entered a source under "Manage Sources", that source will be available for you to apply across all papers in the course and program. For a demonstration of how to input and apply APA formatted citations and references, see Attributions: Become an instant APA expert
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.