MGT 434 ENTIRE COURSE
MGT 434 Week 1 Individual Assignment EEOC Complaint Process
Instructions: Resources: EEOC website, U.S. Court System website, and EEO 101: The Basic Theories of Employment Discrimination Search the following key terms: discrimination complaint process, litigation process, mediation process, and dispute resolution. John identifies as a Hispanic employee in a private sector organization. He is regularly called an "idiot" by his supervisor. The supervisor has hardly ever called non-Hispanic employees derogatory names. Finally, the supervisor starts calling John an inflammatory name that is known to be derogatory to Hispanics. John now finds his work environment intolerable though his supervisor has no intention to demote or fire John for any reason. John, however, wants to file a discrimination complaint against his employer. He went to his HR department first, but was dissatisfied with their lack of help. Prepare a 700- to 1,050-word paper written in the third person voice in which you analyze and explain the discrimination complaint and civil litigation process as it would potentially apply to John and his employer.
- What are the elements of a hostile work environment harassment claim?
- Can John potentially satisfy the elements of a hostile work environment harassment claim?
- Does his employer have any defense for the supervisor's conduct? Identify whether John can make a prima facie case of hostile work environment by identifying the elements required to bring a cause of action for discrimination. Explain how the complaint process begins with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and proceeds with a right-to-sue letter through the civil litigation process from the state level up to the U. S. Supreme Court. Include a discussion on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other relevant aspects addressing discrimination complaints and disputes in the workplace. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, including using headings to appropriately signal topics to keep your document organized. Use a minimum of three different in-text citation sources within your paper, and properly identify them in your References page. Any laws and legal cases used in the body of your paper must also be included in the References page. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
MGT 434 Week 2 Learning Team Charter
Instructions: Overview In this course, your team will work together to complete a few assignments. This chartering assignment is designed to help you apply your project management skills to understand the scope of your project, then break the project into goals, tasks, responsibilities, resources, and milestones. The assignment also asks you to discuss and answer some questions that will lay the foundation for developing your project. Beyond the Standard Charter You will notice that this chartering process goes beyond your standard University of Phoenix Charter by helping your team create a project plan for team success by providing you with opportunities to define your deliverables, recognize the connections between the deliverables and other classroom activities, determine your timelines and milestones, identify each team member's expected contribution, and answer questions that lay the foundation for building your projects. Putting "I" in "Team" Important to note is the section for defining learning team expectations related to participation, collaboration, communication, team contributions, assignment deadlines, and other considerations. Please take the time to discuss and document how your team will address each area and any challenges that may arise. It is important to understand that we are "Putting 'I' in 'Team'". In short, we will recognize and reward individuals according to their contributions to team output, not according to their team membership. This means that individual grades may be different from the team grade depending on each individual's contribution to each team deliverable. Completing this Assignment To complete this assignment, do the following:
- Review the Charter and Project plan.
- Review the weekly Learning Team deliverables.
- Complete the provided Learning Team Charter and Project Plan, including the following: team member contact information, project by week, learning team expectations, team discussion questions. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
MGT 434 Week 2 Learning Team Assignment ADA Accommodation for Medical Marijuana Strategy
Instructions: Resource: ADA Accommodation for Medical Marijuana Case Study, Marijuana in the Workplace: A Hazy Issue for Employers By Rachel E. Atterberry 9/18/2015, and Mass: First Workplace Medical Marijuana Lawsuit Filed By Joanne Deschenaux 9/21/2015 Research online law libraries and the Internet for sources concerning information on ADA, ADAAA, state, and federal medical marijuana laws, privacy for drug testing, as well as drug testing in the workplace. Discuss the case study in a written report - including all its relevant topics - and include the following:
- Describe whether the requirements of disability eligibility under ADA and ADAAA are applicable in this circumstance, and discuss whether or not the woman has any valid claim and is entitled to any accommodation. Support your position using federal and state laws or statutes, including any legal cases on the matter.
- Evaluate whether or not the company has a valid defense. Support your position using federal or state laws or statutes, and include any legal cases on the matter.
- Analyze whether a reasonable accommodation is appropriate or inappropriate.
- Cite a minimum of two federal laws and one state law in addition to other sources that apply to this case study, and be sure to cite them correctly in the body of your paper as well as the References page.
- Recommend a conflict resolution process that can be used to solve the matter and avoid a lawsuit. Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word report in the third-person voice. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, and include headings to appropriately signal topics and keep your document organized. Use a minimum of five different in-text citation sources within your paper, and properly identify them in your References page. Any laws and legal cases used in the body of your paper must also be included in the References page. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Note: Grades are awarded based upon individual contributions to the Learning Team assignment. Each Learning Team member receives a grade based upon his/her contributions to the team assignment. Not all students may receive the same grade for the team assignment.
MGT 434 Week 2 Learning Team Assignment Pregnancy Discrimination Act & FMLA Discrimination
Instructions: Skyline Preparatory High for Girls is an elite prep school with 47 faculty and staff members on the payroll. Jamie Davis, a two-year English instructor, becomes pregnant. She is not married. She is a slim woman who is not showing visible signs of pregnancy and has not told the school administrators of her pregnancy. In her sixth month of pregnancy she develops pre-eclampsia, necessitating that she go on pregnancy leave immediately. Davis requests medical leave due to her pregnancy and applies for FMLA, believing that she is eligible (and because she desires to care for her baby after the baby is born). Skyline Prep's Headmaster, Doris Jones, tells Davis that she must resign because she would be setting a poor example for the students. Davis refuses, and now Doris Jones wants to terminate her. You are an attorney located at a New York City law firm that specializes in employment law. Doris Jones has contacted you for confidential legal advice, fearing that she may expose the school to liability.
- What advice would you give to Skyline Prep's Headmaster, Doris Jones?
- How would you advise her to proceed? Research the laws and legal cases on the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and the Family Medical Leave Act using online law libraries or other Internet sources of your choice. Research the Internet for sources on how to make a simple video on your cell phone or computer if you are not already familiar with how to make one. Imagine that you are speaking with Doris Jones via video chat or video conferencing. Produce a video of no more than five minutes that addresses the following with Doris Jones:
- Explain the major components of both the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Discuss whether or not Davis is protected under the PDA.
- Discuss whether or not Davis is eligible for FMLA.
- Evaluate the actions of the school in this situation. In a positive and professional way, explain to Doris Jones what the school should do to prevent an adverse situation from occurring.
- As an attorney, what actions would you recommend that Doris Jones take to resolve this situation? Discuss this in the video.
- Conclude the video with professional closing remarks. Consider the organizational culture, HR training, company policies and procedures, and strategic steps that should be addressed in your response. Test your video to ensure that your instructor can open the file or link. Post your assignment as an attachment, or provide your instructor with a link to your video. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
MGT 434 Week 3 Individual Assignment Diaz v. Carcamo Legal Analysis
Instructions: The California Supreme Court ruled that an employer will be liable for injuries sustained by individuals due to the negligent driving of one of its employees, stating the following: A person injured by someone driving a car in the course of employment may sue not only the driver but that driver's employer. The employer can be sued on two legal theories based on tort principles: respondent superior and negligent entrustment. Respondent superior, a form of vicarious liability, makes an employer liable, irrespective of fault, for negligent driving by its employee in the scope of employment. The theory of negligent entrustment makes an employer liable for its own negligence in choosing an employee to drive a vehicle. Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper, written in the third-person voice, that addresses the following:
- Explore types of principal-agency relationships and determine what type of relationship exists in this case between the driver, Jose Carcamo, and the company, Sugar Transport of the Northwest, LLC.
- What course of action do you recommend with respect to the lawsuit and Carcamo's employment?
- Does Sugar Transport's Human Resources department have any responsibility for their role in hiring Carcamo? If so, what other employment law issues do you find legally problematic concerning the hiring of Carcamo? Identify them and explain the legal issues and laws that were violated. Include justification for your responses by citing applicable laws and/or legal cases in your discussion. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, and include headings that appropriately signal topics and keep your document organized. Use a minimum of three different sources within the paper in addition to the laws and legal cases required above, and provide in-text citations. Any laws and legal cases used in the body of your paper must also be included in the References page. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment
MGT 434 Week 4 Learning Team Assignment Training Workshop on Affirmative Action
Instructions: Resource: Department of Labor Website The Human Resources Department has been tasked by the CEO to develop a training workshop on affirmative action for upper management. Your department must analyze the obligations arising out of E.O. 11246.yes Create a 10- to 15-slide visual presentation, not including the title page, Q&A page, or References page. Use speaker notes to clarify talking points. Review applicable laws affecting affirmative action. Discuss the role a Human Resource manager plays in implementing affirmative action plans. Explain the requirements for putting together an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP). Include a discussion on mandatory and non-mandatory issues. Contrast the characterizations of a quota system with those of goals and timetables, and explain which system affirmative action uses. Examine the responsibilities of contractors and subcontractors. Assess how the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 fit into an AAP. Discuss one legal case concerning affirmative action to exemplify a point that you want to emphasize in your presentation. Format your presentation consistent with APA guidelines. Use a minimum of three different sources within the presentation, in addition to the one legal case required above, and provide in-text citations. Identify all sources in the References slide. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Note: Grades are awarded based upon individual contributions to the Learning Team assignment. Each Learning Team member receives a grade based upon his/her contributions to the team assignment. Not all students may receive the same grade for the team assignment.
MGT 434 Week 4 Individual Assignment Signature Assignment: Employee Conduct, Termination, & Progressive Discipline
Instructions: About Your Signature Assignment This signature assignment is designed to align with specific program student learning outcomes in your program. Program Student Learning Outcomes are broad statements that describe what students should know and be able to do upon completion of their degree. The signature assignments may be graded with an automated rubric that allows the University to collect data that can be aggregated across a location or college/school and used for program improvements. Resource: Avery Foster v. Federal Express Corp., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 53779 (E. Dist. Ct. MI) The issue in the case is whether the company's employment handbook created an implied contract. Avery Foster was terminated for falsifying an employee timecard. He argued that he was told in his initial interview that he would be guaranteed employment at Federal Express as long as he was a good worker and was protected from "just cause" termination. The court found there was good cause to terminate Avery Foster and that the handbook did not create an implied contract of guaranteed employment. Progressive discipline is an employee disciplinary process that provides a graduated and measured range of responses to employee performance or conduct issues. Critical thinking consideration: Short of termination, could progressive discipline have been effective in this matter? Given the circumstances and issues that arose in the Avery Foster case, create the following:
- Design a Progressive Discipline Policy that would be appropriate for most organizations to follow, with consideration to the following measures:
- Identify the discipline issues to be addressed: attendance, performance, conduct, or a single broad category of non-performance.
- Determine whether or not the provisions of the policy should permit the company to modify and/or apply the policy in any manner it deems appropriate under the circumstances, including acceleration of steps, exclusion of steps, or repetition of steps.
- Assess when a supervisor may act independently or needs to seek upper management approval.
- Explain instructions on when to involve Human Resources.
- Clarify the role of Human Resources to advise or approve disciplinary action.
- Determine when a witness should be present.
- Outline the different sequences and progressive levels of discipline that an employee can receive.
- Develop rules regarding merit increases in relation to disciplinary action. Write the policy in the third-person in no more than 1,400 words. Use headings that appropriately signal the steps and keep your policy organized. Use a minimum of three different research resources, and identify all sources in your Reference page. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment
MGT 434 Week 5 Learning Team Assignment Union Organizing Case Study
Instructions: Resource: Union Organizing Case Study Review the Union Organizing Case Study and discuss it as a team. Research labor laws and legal cases on union organization in parking lots using online law libraries or other Internet sources of your choice. Using the IRAC method (Issue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion) of legal case analysis, analyze the case study by identifying the applicable rule of law(s) relevant to the case. Analyze the case facts against the laws you have identified, and then give a conclusion as to what the result should be and which party should win the case. Explain whether or not the storeowner may prohibit nonemployee union organizers from distributing leaflets in a shopping mall parking lot owned by the storeowner. Write and complete a 1,400- to 1,750-word legal analysis in the third person voice according to the following guidelines:
- Rule (of Law): Recommended word length: 300 to 350 words
- Analysis: Recommended word length: 800 to 1,050 words
- Conclusion: Recommended word length: 300 to 350 words Include justification for your responses by citing applicable laws and/or legal cases in your analysis. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, and include headings that appropriately signal topics and keep your document organized. Use a minimum of three different sources within the paper in addition to the laws and legal cases required above, using proper in-text citations. Identify any source in your Reference page. Any laws and legal cases used in the body of your paper must also be included in the References page. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Note: Grades are awarded based upon individual contributions to the Learning Team assignment. Each Learning Team member receives a grade based upon his/her contributions to the team assignment. Not all students may receive the same grade for the team assignment
MGT 434 Week 5 Individual Assignment Understanding Labor Practices
Instructions: Resource: Understanding Labor Practices Worksheet Assess each unfair labor practice using the Understanding Labor Practices worksheet. Determine the labor law and particular provision(s) applicable to the situation. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.