HCS 335 ENTIRE COURSE
HCS 335 Week 1 Individual Assignment Health Care Ethics Matching Exercise
Complete the Health Care Ethics Matching Exercise. Match keywords commonly used in health care ethics to the definitions on the page. Discuss the exercise in class. Click Print Screen at the end of the exercise. Save your answer sheet to your desktop. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
HCS 335 Week 1 Individual Assignment Ethical Decision
Instructions: Write a 350- to 700-word summary. Include the following in your summary:
- Discuss an event in which you had to make an ethical decision.
- Identify at least two ethical theories that support your decision.
- Discuss the problem-solving methodologies you used to resolve the issue.
- Identify what impact ethical theories have on professional or personal decision making. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment
HCS 335 Week 2 Learning Team Assignment Code of Ethics Paper
Instructions: Research and select a health care organization in which you locate the mission statement, its code of ethics, and core values. Possible health care organizations:
- American Red Cross
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- American Heart Association
- A nonprofit health care organization
- Johnson & Johnson
- Stryker Corp.
- Verizon Health
- GE Healthcare Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you discuss ethics in a health care organization. Include the following:
- Describe the organization selected.
- What are the organization's goals? How are they tied to its ethical principles? Describe the role and importance of the organization's ethical values.
- Is there a social responsibility for the organization in the community? Explain and provide examples. • Is it important that the organization's ethical values support your ethical values? Explain. Include at least 3 sources in your paper. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
HCS 335 Week 2 Individual Assignment Ethical Health Care Scenarios
Instructions: Review the following scenarios.
Scenario 1: Medical coding in a physician's practice Imagine you work in a high-pressure cardiology physician's office and you are one of two medical coders. Your supervisor is very focused on the greatest reimbursement to satisfy revenue projections for the practice. As a result, you are asked to "up-code" billing. How can the pressure of acquiring the maximum repayment for services lead to manipulating or falsifying documentation?
Scenario 2: Administration of patient medications in the hospital setting Imagine you are a new graduate nurse working nights on a busy medical unit. You just received a new patient who needs to be admitted to your unit and you just finished medicating a patient with a narcotic injection with a dose greater than ordered. Clearly understanding medication errors may lead to patient injury and even death, explain why a clinician may choose not to report the incident.
Scenario 3: Not hiring a qualified individual because of discrimination Imagine you are a new human resources director in a nonprofit organization and have been pressured not to hire Middle Eastern candidates by the organization's CEO. In the United States, discrimination against people based on their ethnicity, race, or cultural orientation is strictly forbidden under federal and state laws. Ethical discrimination may result in the breeding of ill feelings at work, as well as reduced productivity. To eliminate these ramifications, organizations need to put forth increased effort in curbing ethical discrimination in the employment sector. What are some interventions organizations can put in place to prevent discrimination? Write a 150- to 350-word response for each ethical scenario. Include a title page with your name and your responses. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
HCS 335 Week 3 Individual Assignment Administrative Interview
Instructions: Review the code of ethics or ethics code of conduct, mission, vision, and values of the organization you work for. Select someone in a leadership position at your workplace or at a local health care facility (e.g., pharmacy, medical office, nursing home, or health and wellness office) to interview. It could be a supervisor, manager, director, etc. Write a 350- to 700-word summary that discusses the following:
- Identify the person you interviewed and their position within the company.
- Discuss what impact the organizational expectations (i.e., code of ethics or ethics code of conduct, mission, vision, and values) have on their decision making.
- Discuss what impact their decision has on their colleagues and work environment. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
HCS 335 Week 4 Individual Assignment Biomedical Example
Instructions: Resource: Ch. 1 of Health Care Ethics (6th ed.) Mickey Mantle received a liver transplant in 1995. He was a Baseball Hall of Fame center fielder for the New York Yankees whose liver was failing because of cirrhosis and hepatitis. Although the waiting period for a liver transplant in the United States is about 130 days, it took only two days for the Baylor Medical Center's transplant team to find an organ donor for the 63-year-old former baseball hero. According to the director of the Southwest Organ Bank, Mantle was moved ahead of others on the list because of his deteriorating medical condition; however, there were mixed feelings about speeding up the process for a celebrity. Mantle was known for overcoming immense obstacles, and many argued that the medical system should provide exceptions for heroes. He was also a recovering alcoholic, which further complicated the ethical implications of the case. Because of Mantle's medical problems, doctors estimated that he had only a 60 percent chance for a three-year survival; whereas, liver transplant patients typically have about a 78 percent chance for a three-year survival rate. As in the case of the liver transplant for Mickey Mantle, should the system make exceptions for anyone? Why or why not? Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you analyze the Mickey Mantle case using the Seven-Step Decision Model. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
HCS 335 Week 5 Learning Team Assignment Emerging Ethical Issues Presentation
Instructions: Your team has been assigned to give a presentation to your organization's board of ethics. The team will discuss an ethical issue that faces your organization and its social responsibility toward the issue. Prepare a 10- to 12-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation that discusses the ethical issue. Include the following:
- Describe an ethical issue, such as in vitro fertilization, surrogate motherhood, sterilization, abortion, genetic counseling, euthanasia, or medical marijuana.
- What is the historical and current impact of the issue?
- What is the team's position on this issue? Do you support it? Oppose it? Explain why. Include at least 3 sources in your presentation. Format your presentation according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.