GEO 215 Week 2 Individual Assignment Food Production and Practices
Instructions: In this assignment, you investigate the role of a specific food crop in a first- and third-world country, including the agricultural practices needed for the production and distribution of the foodstuff. Choose one agriculturally grown food crop of interest, such as a specific agricultural product, a cultural food staple, or a type of food. Investigate the role of a specific food crop in a first- and third-world country, including the agricultural practices needed for the production and distribution of the foodstuff. Create or locate a map that illustrates the spatial distribution of the selected food crop in both first- and third-world countries. Additionally, indicate on the map the type of farms in which the chosen food crop is produced (such as rural, commercial, family owned). Create a 10-slide presentation (1 slide should be the introduction slide) including speaker notes. Answer the following in your presentation (one per slide), including how the food crop is a function of both a first- and third-world country, agriculturally, and as a commodity:
- Where is the selected food crop grown? How is the food crop part of the location's cultural practices? • What groups are responsible for the cultivation of the food crop? What percentage of the population is involved in the production of the food crop?
- How is the food crop affected by the geographic location in which it is grown?
- What is the percentage of individuals within the respective country dependent on the food crop? Include each stage of production, distribution, and finally consumption.
- Is the food crop chosen subsidized by the government of the respective country or a nongovernment agency? Why or why not?
- How is the food crop grown to reach maximum yield? Are pesticides or herbicides used on the food crop? How do the yields of the food crop compare between a first- and third-world country?
- What types of technologies are used on the farms at which the food crop is grown?
- Are the farmers bound by specific government policies for growing the food crop? If so, what are those policies? If not, how does the lack of policies or regulations affect the amount of the food crop produced? • How is the food crop used within the human food supply of the respective country? Include a minimum of 2 references in addition to the course text. Format citations in your presentation according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.