ETH 321 ENTIRE COURSE
ETH 321 Week 1 Individual Assignment Practice: Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Multiple Choice Self-Test
Instructions: Complete the litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) Multiple Choice Self-Test. Answer the multiple choice questions to test your knowledge of litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Click the Assignment Files tab to submit a screenshot of your completed quiz.
ETH 321 Week 1 Individual Assignment Apply: Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Ethics and Risk Management Study
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to analyze and select an appropriate method of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) for a business dispute, to examine unethical business behavior, and to develop risk management procedures to avoid or reduce claims and litigation. Read the following scenario: Dazzling Dough Co. sells pizza dough to local pizza restaurants. Most of the restaurants buy at least 150 pounds of pizza dough from Dazzling Dough Co. in each order. Jerry's Pizza contacted Dazzling Dough Co. to purchase 200 pounds of pizza dough, along with some other items. Dazzling Dough Co. sent Jerry's Pizza a written contract, stating that "Jerry's Pizza agrees to purchase 200 pounds of pizza dough, pizza toppings, desserts and soft drinks for $30,000." Jerry's Pizza signed and returned the contract. A few days later, Dazzling Dough Co. sent Jerry's Pizza 125 pounds of pizza dough and 75 pounds of pizza toppings, desserts, and soft drinks. Jerry's Pizza contacted Dazzling Dough Co. about the error in the contract and demanded an extra 75 pounds of pizza dough. Dazzling Dough Co. said there was no error, that Jerry's Pizza signed the contract so they agreed to the terms, and it was not sending the extra pizza dough. After several attempts to resolve the dispute and a pressing need for dough, Jerry's Pizza terminated the contract and sent Dazzling Dough Co. a check for $15,000 for the 125 pounds of pizza dough, pizza toppings, desserts and soft drinks. Jerry's Pizza immediately purchased 75 pounds of pizza dough from another company for $12,000. Both parties are threatening to sue each other for breach of contract. They prefer to resolve the dispute out of court because the contract contains a clause that awards reimbursement of attorney's fees to the winning party. The board of directors of Jerry's Pizza scheduled a meeting with you and other senior management at the company to discuss the dispute. You'll need to prepare a strategic plan overview (an abbreviated strategic plan, not a full plan) for the board that explains why there is a dispute, suggests various settlement proposals, and provides recommendations on how Jerry's Pizza can avoid this kind of dispute in the future.
Prepare a 625- to 875-word strategic plan overview in APA format to resolve the legal dispute for the board (use the bullet point headings provided below to format your overview) addressing the following:
- Summary of Dispute
- Identify the source of the dispute.
- Identify each party's interpretation of the contract language.
- Identify whether each party's interpretation is reasonable.
- Identify any missing facts that would be helpful to know in order to resolve the dispute.
- Proposed Revisions to Contract Language
- Recommend specific revisions to the contract's language so that it is clear what Jerry's Pizza expected to buy and what Dazzling Dough Co. is required to deliver.
- Ethical Considerations
- Explain the ethical considerations for a company to enforce specific terms of a contract against another company if the other company is mistaken about what was agreed to. Discuss the factors that should be considered.
- Two to three possible settlement options (e.g., pay for the disputed dough, reduce the amount of dough to be purchased, split the difference, refuse to pay, etc.)
- Two to three methods of dispute resolution (e.g., negotiation, mediation, arbitration, litigation, etc.) that Jerry's Pizza can propose to Dazzling Dough Co. Create a visualization chart of your choosing to include in the report, to represent the information you provide in this assignment.
Individual Aug 06, 2018 11:59 PM 10
- Use the Table, SmartArt, or Chart visual representation options available in Microsoft® Word by clicking on the Insert tab located on the ribbon at the top of the window. Locate the Word Help function in the version of Microsoft® Word that is installed on your computer for assistance. Include this part as a page in your report. Include 2 References in APA format.
ETH 321 Week 2 Learning Team Assignment Team Project Plan
Instructions: Overview In this course, your team will work together to complete a few assignments. This assignment is designed to help you apply your project management skills to understand the scope of your project and then break the project into goals, tasks, responsibilities, resources, and milestones. The assignment also asks you to discuss and answer some questions that will lay the foundation for developing your project. Beyond the Standard Charter You will notice that this charter process goes beyond your standard University of Phoenix Learning Team Charter by helping your team create a project plan for team success by providing you with opportunities to define your deliverables, recognize the connections between the deliverables and other classroom activities, determine your timelines and milestones, identify each team member's expected contribution, and answer questions that lay the foundation for building your projects. Putting "I" in "Team" Important to note is the section for defining learning team expectations related to participation, collaboration, communication, team contributions, assignment deadlines, and other considerations. Please take the time to discuss and document how your team will address each area and any challenges that may arise. It is important to understand that we are "Putting 'I' in 'Team'." In short, we will recognize and reward individuals according to their contributions to team output, not according to their team membership. This means that individual grades may be different from the team grade depending on each individual's contribution to each team deliverable. Completing this Assignment To complete this assignment, do the following:
- Review the Charter and Project plan.
- Review the weekly learning team deliverables.
- Complete the provided Learning Team Charter and Project Plan, including the following: team member contact information, project by week, Learning Team expectations, and team discussion questions. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
ETH 321 Week 2 Individual Assignment Apply: Duties of Corporate Directors and Officers
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to explain the legal duties imposed on corporate directors and officers, to determine whether a director or officer has violated his or her legal duties to the corporation, and to evaluate how a violation of such duties may negatively affect the corporation and its shareholders. Read the following scenario. Fitzgerald Foods is a food processing corporation. In the past year, three directors were forced to leave Fitzgerald Foods after it was discovered the directors breached their legal duties to the corporation. Two of the directors were also officers of the corporation. The chairman of the board at Fitzgerald Foods is concerned that the remaining directors don't understand their legal duties to the corporation and that new directors won't understand their duties either. You are the chief executive officer (CEO) of the corporation. The chairman of the board asked you to work with the corporation's legal counsel to create a company policy document for directors and officers about their legal duties to the corporation. Develop a 700- to 1,050-word company policy (template provided) (not APA) for Fitzgerald Foods' directors and officers completing the following:
- Legal Duties of Directors and Officers (a heading from policy document)
- Explain the legal duties of directors and officers to the corporation, including the "business judgment rule."
- Benefits of Compliance (a heading from policy document)
- Discuss the benefits of compliance for Fitzgerald Foods.
- Consequences of Noncompliance (a heading from policy document)
- Analyze how unethical activity by a director or officer can lead to a violation of a legal duty owed to the corporation.
- Provide a brief example from a news article or court case within the last three years that demonstrates corporate director or officer liability in the United States.
- Recommend separately (not a heading on the policy document) to the chairman of the board in 45 to 90 words at least two business risk management procedures that Fitzgerald Foods can adopt in the future to avoid violations of legal duties by its directors and officers. Use the Fitzgerald Foods Company Policy template as a guide for your policy document. Search the internet for examples of completed policy documents using the following search parameters: policy document example, policy document template, policy document format, policy document sample, or any variation you choose. An example may assist you to complete your policy document. Cite a minimum of two references according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
ETH 321 Week 3 Individual Assignment Practice: Agency Multiple Choice Self-Test
Instructions: Complete the agency multiple choice self-test. Answer the following multiple-choice questions to test your knowledge of agency. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit a screenshot of your completed quiz.
ETH 321 Week 3 Individual Assignment Apply: Signature Assignment—Employment Classification and Discrimination
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to evaluate different types of employment relationships and potential discriminatory employment policies from an ethical standpoint. Read the following scenario. Janice was hired by Dream Massage to be a massage therapist. She is engaged as an independent contractor and, therefore, receives no tax withholding or employment benefits. Dream Massage requires Janice to work a set schedule, provides her with clients and all her massage products, and exercises complete control over how Janice does her work. In addition, when Janice shows up to work the first day, she is informed by Dream Massage that she cannot wear her hijab as it violates the company's dress code policy. The owner of Dream Massage comes to you, a human resources (HR) consultant, to find out if Janice is properly classified as an independent contractor and if there is potential liability concerning the hijab. Create a 700- to 1,050-word HR report for Dream Massage in which you examine the employment issues presented in the scenario. Include the following:
- Analyze whether Janice qualifies as an employee or should be classified as an independent contractor.
- Discuss whether Dream Massage has potentially violated any employment discrimination laws.
- Analyze ethical considerations associated with the maintenance of a rigid company dress policy. Cite a minimum of three references. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
ETH 321 Week 4 Learning Team Assignment Apply: Internet-Based Contracting Issues
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to analyze internet-based contracting issues, such as online contract formation; to determine the requirements for performance and breach of online contracts; and to develop enforceable methods for dispute resolution. Read the following scenario. Great Buys is an internet-based company headquartered in New York that sells household electronics to consumers in the United States. The management team at Great Buys has some concerns about its online contracting process. • Great Buys isn't sure it has a binding contract with its customers because the contract is completely online and in electronic format. • Customers have argued they are not bound to the online contract because there's no handwritten "pen and ink" signature. • Great Buys also wants to know if any international laws will apply when the company starts selling its electronic products internationally. • Great Buys has been sued in different state courts all over the country, and it would like to know if an arbitration clause requiring that arbitration be conducted in New York City will be enforceable. • Finally, Great Buys wants one or two suggestions for improving its internal business procedures so that customer product complaints don't turn into contract-related claims or lawsuits. Great Buys' management team asks you, the company's contract manager, to work with your team and address their concerns. Select one of the following:
- Create a 5- to 7-minute video or audio recording in which your Learning Team members provide answers to all of Great Buys' concerns. The recording may be done by Learning Team members in person (e.g., in a classroom) or via web conference or other audio/video recording software (GoToMeeting®, WebEx®, Zoom®, Skype®, or other laptop audio/video recording applications). Your Learning Team should determine how to allocate tasks among members and submit a single recording (not recordings by individual Learning Team members). Optional: your recording may include a team discussion of the issues prior to providing answers and recommendations.
Note: Audio and video recordings may not be capable of being uploaded into the classroom. Most web conference software products provide a link to recordings. If you are using web conference software, please provide your instructor with a URL link to the recording. If you are having trouble submitting your assignment, contact your instructor. Video recordings may be submitted to your instructor using Microsoft® OneDrive®, Dropbox®, or any other FTP file sender service.
- Create a 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® or Prezi® presentation that includes a 1- to 2-minute recording (audio, video, or both) created by your Learning Team that provides answers to all of Great Buys' concerns above. Your Learning Team can incorporate graphics, animation, or interactive Microsoft® PowerPoint® features, such as Designer and Morph (some features require a valid Microsoft® Office 365® subscription), consistent with the University of Phoenix's guidelines for use of third-party materials. Your Learning Team should determine how to allocate tasks among team members and submit a single Microsoft® PowerPoint® or Prezi® presentation (do not submit presentations by individual Learning Team members).
Note: Prezi® presentations cannot be uploaded to the classroom. Please provide your instructor with the link to the presentation on the web. Prezi® will provide you with a URL link to the presentation. If you are having trouble submitting your assignment, contact your instructor.
- Use Speaker Notes in the slides, and APA reference page. DO NOT WRITE A PAPER
- Cite a minimum of two references. Format your assignment according to APA citation guidelines (for audio or video option above or presentation option above). Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Note: Grades are awarded based on individual contributions to the Learning Team assignment. Each Learning Team member receives a grade based on his/her contributions to the team assignment. Not all students may receive the same grade for the team assignment.
ETH 321 Week 4 Individual Assignment Apply: Trade Secret Theft Study
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to determine when business assets may constitute intellectual property (IP), to analyze when an IP theft has occurred and possible remedies for IP theft, and to assess the importance of protecting and enforcing IP rights in a business setting. Read the following scenario. Futuretek sells high-tech computer chips and software to smartphone manufacturers worldwide. Futuretek maintains two software databases: one containing Futuretek's customer list with nonpublic contact information for key personnel, and the other containing customer purchasing trends. The information in the two databases is available for employees to view and use in connection with their job duties. Dana is a computer programmer for Futuretek. Dana plans to run her own company one day and design and sell her own computer chips to smartphone companies. As an employee, she has access to the two databases containing Futuretek's key purchaser and purchasing trends information. Dana decides to leave Futuretek and start her own computer chip business. Before she leaves, she makes a copy of the two databases on a portable hard drive. Dana uses the information to contact Futuretek's customers and offer them cheaper, but comparable, computer chips manufactured by Dana's new company, SmartChip. Futuretek becomes aware of Dana's actions and asks you, the chief operations officer, for advice and recommendations on what to do. In a 5- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® or Prezi® presentation, complete the following:
- Determine whether Dana has taken Futuretek's intellectual property (IP), and if so, describe the type(s) of IP that was taken.
- Explain any civil actions in tort or criminal actions that may be brought against Dana or SmartChip.
- Assume Futuretek sues Smart Chip, and Futuretek wins the lawsuit. Recommend ethical policies that Smart Chip can put into place to prevent future legal claims and litigation against the company.
- Recommend risk management procedures that Futuretek can implement to avoid or limit this type of activity from happening to the company in the future. Cite a minimum of two references according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment. Note: Prezi® presentations cannot be uploaded to the classroom. Prezi® will provide you with a URL link to the presentation. Please provide your instructor with the link to the presentation on the web. If you are having trouble submitting your assignment, contact your instructor.
ETH 321 Week 5 Individual Assignment Apply: Securities and International Regulatory Agencies
Instructions: The purpose of this assignment is to analyze the effect of domestic and international regulatory agencies and court systems on business transactions and dispute resolution. Read the following scenario: You are the CEO of Bonner, a U.S.-based farm equipment corporation. Bonner recently announced the release of an innovative new tractor with technology based on a patented invention developed by Bonner's engineers. Bonner's vice president, who is aware of the upcoming product offering, bought 100,000 shares of Bonner stock prior to the announcement. You found out about the vice president's stock purchase on the day of the announcement. One week after the announcement, Bonner received a letter from a German farm equipment corporation, accusing Bonner of patent infringement based on the new tractor's technology. Bonner's board of directors asked you to assess: 1) the vice president's liability for the stock purchase and 2) the company's options for resolving the German corporation's patent infringement claim.
THERE ARE TWO PARTS TO THIS ASSIGNMENT: 1- Prepare an infographic for the board (e.g., Piktochart®, Publisher, Glogster®, Microsoft® PowerPoint®, etc.) in which you discuss the following:
- Compare the resolution of the patent dispute in a U.S. court with the resolution of the dispute using the World Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) dispute resolution program. Search the internet to review WIPO's dispute resolution program. (Information about WIPO's dispute resolution program may be located on their website by searching the Internet for WIPO).
- Assess the liability of Bonner's vice president for purchasing the corporation's stock prior to the announcement of the new tractor.
- Assess whether Bonner has any legal or ethical duties to disclose the stock purchase, and if so, to whom?
- Discuss risk management procedures Bonner can adopt to avoid or reduce situations like these from happening in the future. 2- Create a 350- to 500-word letter in response to the German farm equipment company in which you:
- Explain why Bonner is the owner of the invention
- Discuss the intellectual property rights owned by Bonner in the invention
- Suggest a method of dispute resolution (e.g., arbitration, mediation, litigation, WIPO dispute resolution), why that method would be desirable for resolving the dispute, and how and where the dispute resolution should be held (United States, foreign country, online, etc.). Cite a minimum of two references. Format your assignment according to APA guidelines. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.