ENV 100 ENTIRE COURSE
ENV 100 Week 1 Individual Assignment Balancing Ecosystems
Instructions: Resource: Gamescape Episode 1 Results PDF and Ch. 5 and 6 of Visualizing Environmental Science
Complete Episode 1: "Balancing Ecosystems" Gamescape.
Write a 350- to 700-word letter to the City Council in neighboring Glimmerville, using your Gamescape Episode 1 Results PDF as a resource. In your letter, explain the situation with the Grass Carp and some of the challenges faced in restoring balance to Sparksville's aquatic ecosystem. Since Glimmerville is experiencing a similar situation, provide advice on how to restore their lake ecosystem. Include the following points in your letter:
- What is ecosystem balance? Which reduction factors and which growth factors impacted ecosystem balance in Episode 1? Describe two ways in which the invasive species and native species impact ecosystem balance.
- Based on Episode 1 and the assigned readings, describe how native and invasive species might affect succession. How might an invasive species impact the natural selection of the native species within a habitat? Describe how native and invasive species affect the flow of energy in an ecosystem?
- Describe four possible solutions to the Grass Carp invasion problem. Describe one advantage and one disadvantage for each solution.
- As you learned in Chapters 5 and 6 of Environmental Science, the flow of energy, species interactions, and natural selection change over time. Since ecosystems and species are in flux, why should humans strive to restore and maintain ecosystem balance? Use one example from Episode 1 and one example from the assigned reading materials to support your points. Why is sustainability important to these environmental concerns? Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your Gamescape Results PDF and your letter.
ENV 100 Week 2 Individual Assignment Population Management
Instructions: Resources: Gamescape Episode 2 Results PDF and Ch. 4 and 7 of Visualizing Environmental Science
Complete Episode 2: "Managing Population Growth" Gamescape.
As president of the City Council, you have been invited by the Mayor to give a PowerPoint® presentation to Sparksville’s High School.
Develop a 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with speaker notes that explains the prairie dog land management issue, using your Gamescape Episode 2 Results PDF as a resource. Include the following points:
- Discuss some of the challenges of urbanization and environmental benefits. Explain how the prairie dog land management issues are related to the challenges of urbanization.
- Explain the factors that influence population growth using prairie dogs as an example to illustrate your points. Briefly review how the natural environment is needed to support cities. Use the ecological role of prairie dogs and their benefit to land management and the city of Sparksville’s as an example.
- Describe the different policies that the city explored to manage prairie dog population growth, and discuss how these policies are rooted in environmental science and population dynamics.
- Discuss the final management decision, and explain how it balanced urban development with environmental sustainability. Include major challenges you faced in addressing this issue and reaching an optimal solution. Among the challenges, discuss how environmental hazards affect human population and if this impacted the decision with urban development.
ENV 100 Week 3 Individual Assignment Atmospheric Issues
Instructions: Resource: Gamescape Episode 3 Results PDF and Ch. 8-11 in Visualizing Environmental Science.
Complete Episode 3: "Maintaining Terrestrial and Atmospheric Resources" of Gamescape.
As Newly elected Mayor of Sparksville’s, the town's citizens are eager to hear what you plan on doing to promote the local economy while maintaining a high level of environmental air quality.
Write a 350- to 700-word speech for a Town Hall Meeting using your Gamescape Episode 3 Results PDF as a resource, that addresses the following points:
- State the current economic situation and the three choices that were available to the town of Sparksville’s.
- Discuss how these three choices would impact water pollution and indoor and outdoor air pollution. Explain how each of the three choices could be a point and non-source of water and air pollution.
- Describe how the air and water pollution generated from these sources can impact the health of Sparksville's citizens, the local ecosystem, and the local economy. Include some potential solutions.
- Explain why your decision addresses the key environmental challenges and is the optimal choice given this situation. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your Gamescape Results PDF and your speech.
ENV 100 Week 4 Individual Assignment Waste and Energy Presentation
Instructions: Develop a 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with speaker notes in which you evaluate the effects of waste products and fossil fuels on the environment. Include the following items:
- Select two waste products and two fossil fuels. Describe the effects of your selected waste materials on soil and water quality.
- Explain how your selected waste materials and fossil fuels affect biological diversity in the environment.
- Discuss the methods available for the disposal of waste materials. Determine the method of waste management you would recommend for the proper disposal of your selected waste materials. Provide an explanation for your recommendation.
- From your evaluation of fossil fuels, recommend at least two alternative energy resources that could replace your selected fossil fuels. Explain the advantages and disadvantages for the environment of using these alternative energy resources. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
ENV 100 Week 4 Learning Team Assignment Impacts of an Energy Resource Plan
Instructions: Resources: Gamescape Episode 4 Results PDF and Ch. 15-18 of Visualizing Environmental Science. Complete Episode 4: "Controlling Energy Systems" of Gamescape. Imagine that you are preparing a letter for a time capsule for your great great grandchildren, which explains the long-term energy sustainability plan that you developed in Episode 4 of Gamescape. Write a 350- to 700-word letter for the time capsule using your Gamescape Episode 4 Results PDF as a resource, that includes the following points:
- Briefly describe the nation's current energy situation, reliance on oil, and renewable energy sources available. Discuss some challenges that our nation faces with managing our energy resources and how these challenges have affected you personally.
- Describe the sustainability plan you developed in Episode 4 of Gamescape. Identify two strengths and two weaknesses in this plan. How can you address these weaknesses?
- Present three ways in which you hope our nation will educate people on renewable resources and wisely managing our fossil fuel supply.
- Close with one key message that you want your great-great grandchildren to understand about how our current society has managed energy sources and their environmental effects. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your Gamescape Results PDF and your letter for the time capsule. tab.
ENV 100 Week 5 Individual Assignment Environmental Resources Worksheet
Instructions: Complete the Environmental Resources Worksheet.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
ENV 100 Week 5 Learning Team Assignment Gamescape Summary
Instructions: Resource: Gamescape Episode 5 Results PDF
Complete Episode 5: "Building a Positive Environmental Legacy" of Gamescape.
Respond to the following Gamescape summary items. Each response should be one to three sentences in length.
- Describe how you would balance the needs of Sparksville's environment and economy. Explain your reasoning.
- Based on your experience of 25 years in Sparksville’s and this course, what do you consider to be the key principles required to reach sustainability? Click the Assignment Files tab to your Gamescape Results PDF and your responses to the Gamescape summary items
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.