ENG 223 ENTIRE COURSE
ENG 223 Week 1 Individual Assignment Written Communication in the Workplace
Instructions: Choose a specific workplace environment that requires regular written communication. It might be a workplace you have experience with, or it might be a workplace you hope to enter when you have earned your degree. Write a 350- to 700-word essay answering the following questions about your chosen workplace:
- What are the primary audiences for written communication?
- What types of media (such as email, instant messages, memos, etc.) would be most suited to the audiences you have identified?
- What kind of tone would be most appropriate for this workplace? Support your answers by citing your assigned course materials. Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.
ENG 223 Week 2 Individual Assignment Formal Messaging
Instructions: Write a one- to two-page formal letter or memo in which you communicate a negative message. You may select from one of the following scenarios:
- Tell your investors or employees about a recent decrease in your company's stock value.
- Inform employees of a coming round of layoffs at your place of business.
- Communicate displeasure with a business's or vendor's work practices or product.
- Inform a customer that you are unable to refund his or her money or accept a returned product.
- Select another scenario of your choice, as approved by your instructor. Format your letter or memo as suggested in Ch. 10 of Workplace Writing. Submit your assignment as a MS Word document to the Assignment Files tab.
ENG 223 Week 2 Individual Assignment Report Topic Selection
Instructions: Review the University of Phoenix Material: Research-Driven, Formal Report Instructions. Select a topic for your assignment from the list of potential recommendations below:
- Expansion of a business (retail, food, services, and so on) to another location(s)
- Improving a firm's sales and profit
- Improving a company's customer services
- Implementing flexible scheduling
- Reduction of business costs
- Implementing sustainability measures across the company
- Technology (software and hardware) changes across the company
- Another topic as approved by your instructor Submit your selected topic for approval and write a paragraph about how you plan to approach the report given what you have learned in your Weeks 1 and 2 course materials. Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment as a MS Word document to the Assignment Files tab.
ENG 223 Week 3 Individual Assignment Persuasive Messages
Instructions: Choose one of the following topics for a persuasive email to a manager or coworker:
- Requesting a workplace modification or resource
- Advocating a change in direction on a project
- Requesting a promotion
- Recommending specific reductions in workplace waste or moneysaving opportunities
- Requesting to hire a new worker
- Another topic as approved by your instructor Write a 700- to 1,050-word persuasive email that includes a well-crafted subject line, salutation, and signature block. Use the ARGU method as detailed in Workplace Writing and be mindful of the need to maintain an appropriate balance of ethos, pathos, and logos.
ENG 223 Week 4 Individual Assignment Tools for the Job Seeker
Instructions: Select a position for which you might like to apply from a career search website of your choosing. This can be a job that you are qualified for now or will be qualified for after earning your degree. Refer to Ch. 11 of Workplace Writing and choose either a reverse chronological resume or a functional resume depending on your work history situation. Create a one- to two-page resume for this job. Your resume should be formatted consistently by using the same type face, font, and headings. Use clear writing. You may use the resume sample template to compete this assignment. Include the following sections as appropriate:
- Name and contact information
- Career objectives
- Summary of qualifications
- Honors and awards
- Individualized activities Refer to the University of Phoenix Career Services website to help shape your resume. You may also view templates for resumes from Microsoft® Word and any examples used in this course. Be ethical in your use of outside resources. Refer to the section entitled "Practice Resume Ethics" (p. 316) in Ch. 11 of Workplace Writing for additional help. Write a one-page cover letter to accompany your resume. In addition, you may assume you have also interviewed for this position. Write a one-page, follow-up letter. Submit your resume, cover letter, and follow-up letter as a MS Word document to the Assignment Files tab.
ENG 223 Week 5 Individual Assignment Research-Driven Long, Formal Report
Instructions: Review the University of Phoenix Material: Research-Driven, Formal Report Instructions. Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment as a MS Word document to the Assignment Files tab.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.