CJS 231 ENTIRE COURSE
CJS 231 Week 1 Individual Assignment Crime Data Comparison Paper
Instructions: View the following Films on Demand:
- Crime and Punishment
- Experiment Research and Design
- Selecting a Sample View the following Crime videos in CJ Criminology:
- Introduction to Crimes Kiosk
- Defining and Measuring Crime View the following video in Criminology in the 21st Century:
- How Crimes are Measured Utilize FBI Uniform Crime Report data and select one offense, such as burglary, in two metropolitan areas. Choose metropolitan areas with different data. Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper comparing the occurrence of the offense in the selected areas. Identify the number of occurrences reported to the police for each area, and address the following questions:
- Which area had more reported incidents?
- What were the rates of the crime for each area?
- Did the rates change over time in either area?
- What factors might explain the differences in the rates? Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your work to the Assignment Files tab.
CJS 231 Week 2 Individual Assignment Biological Criminal Behavior
Instructions: Choose a criminal offender who committed crimes due to a biological reason. Write a 1,400- to 2,100-word paper discussing the genetic or physiological evidence that supports the notion that biology played a key role in explaining the offender's criminality. Research the behaviors that constitute psychopathy. Discuss in detail the specific behaviors demonstrated by the offender that align with behaviors indicative of a psychopathic individual. Case examples include the following:
- Andrea Yates and the documented evidence of psychiatric issues, including post-partum depression, prior to the murders of her five children
- Charles Whitman, known as the Texas Tower Sniper, and the presence of a tumor discovered post-mortem alleged to have played a role in his overt acts of aggression
- John Hinckley, Jr. and the documented evidence of psychiatric issues leading to his controversial insanity defense in the shooting of President Ronald Reagan Include at least two academic references. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your work to the Assignment Files tab.
CJS 231 Week 2 Individual Assignment Prison Term Policy Recommendation Proposal
Instructions: View the Classical School of Thought in Criminology located in Criminology in the 21st Century. Imagine the following scenario: You are working in the bureau of the state's department of corrections responsible for the facilities in the state prison system. A bill is working its way through the Criminal Justice Policy committee of the state legislature. If it passes, it would double the maximum prison term for anyone convicted of armed robbery. However, your state is under a Federal Court Order to maintain or reduce the number of inmates being held on felony convictions.
Consider policy making as it relates to criminal offenses. What recommendations would you make? What are the reasons for your recommendations? Is this a good bill or a bad bill? Is this bill effective?
Discuss the following in your collaborative group:
- Objectives of the bill
- Goals of the bill
- Possible solutions for the bill
- Justification for why the bill should be approved or not.
- What recommendations would you make to the state's department of corrections, regarding the expected increase of incarcerated individuals, due to the passage of this bill? Prepare a 700-word paper summarizing your group's discussion and findings. Submit your individual work to the Assignment Files tab.
CJS 231 Week 3 Individual Assignment Examining Theory Paper
Instructions: View the following Theories of Crime videos in CJ Criminology. Social Structure Theories section:
- Theory Explained Social Process Theories section:
- Theory Explained Social Conflict Theories section:
- Theory Explained Read the instructions in the Examining Theory document and select one of the following options to complete the assignment.
- Option 1: Social Structure Theory Paper
- Option 2: Social Process and Social Development Theory Paper Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your work to the Assignment Files tab.
CJS 231 Week 4 Individual Assignment Policy Issues
Instructions: View the following Films on Demand videos:
- Drug Control in Central Asia
- Crackdown on Corruption
- Child Exposure to Domestic Violence Choose from the following options in which you will complete your assignment:
- Option 1: Microsoft® PowerPoint® Presentation
- Option 2: Podcast
- Option 3: Paper Read the instructions in Policy Issues Assignments document and select one option to complete the assignment. Format your work consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your work to the Assignment Files tab.
CJS 231 Week 5 Individual Assignment Criminology in the Future Paper
Instructions: Access the Victims' compensation websites in your state and the National Center for Victims of Crime website (http://www.ncvc.org). View the following in Criminology in the 21st Century:
- Criminology Interviews: Director and Chief of Victimization Stats
- Terrorism: A Study in Public Safety View the following Films on Demand videos:
- Targeting Terrorism
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Surveillance
- What is Biometrics? Research the following:
- U.S. Patriot Act
- The Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003
- Homeland Security Act of 2002 Write a 2,100- to 2,400-word paper addressing the following:
- Future directions of crime fighting and its role in social policy implication
- The potential for specific crime-fighting methodologies, such as using biometrics, implementing cybercrime spyware, or mandating DNA collection programs
- Evolving law enforcement and forensic technologies used to detect criminal activities
- Possible civil liberty or ethical violations as they relate to the evolving technologies you included in the paper Discuss how the evolution of crime fighting may affect social policy from national and international perspectives. Consider how the evolving technologies relate to national and international policymaking. Include at least two academic references. Format the paper and presentation consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your work to the Assignment Files tab. r assignment.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.