CJA 314 ENTIRE COURSE
CJA 314 Week 1 Individual Assignment Crime Data Comparison Paper
Instructions: Resource: Films on Demand
- “Crime and Punishment”
- “Experiment Research and Design”
- “Selecting a Sample” Resource: Types of Crime video in CJ Criminology
- “Introduction to Crimes Kiosk” Resource: Criminology in the 21st Century
- How Crimes Are Measured Utilize FBI Uniform Crime Report data and select one offense, such as burglary, in two metropolitan areas. Choose metropolitan areas with different data. Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper comparing the occurrence of the offense in the selected areas. Identify the number of occurrences reported to the police for each area, and address the following questions:
- Which area had more reported incidents?
- What were the rates of the crime for each area?
- Did the rates change over time in either area?
- What factors might explain the differences in the rates? Include at least two peer reviewed references. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
CJA 314 Week 1 Learning Team Assignment Charter
Instructions: Submit the Learning Team Charter.
CJA 314 Week 2 Individual Assignment Prison Term Policy Recommendation Proposal
Instructions: Resource: Criminology in the 21st Century: Classical School of Thought in Criminology. Imagine the following scenario: You are the criminologist advisor to a member of the state legislature. The legislature will soon vote on a bill that, if it passes, would double the maximum prison term for anyone convicted of armed robbery. Your boss knows the bill is popular, but wonders if it will do much good. Consider policy making as it relates to criminal offenses. What recommendations would you make? What are the reasons for your recommendations? Is this a good bill or a bad bill? Is this bill effective? Prepare a 750- to 1,050-word proposal addressing the following:
- Objectives of the bill
- Goals of the bill
- Possible solutions for the bill
- Justification for why the bill should be approved or not Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
CJA 314 Week 3 Learning Team Biological Criminal Behavior
Instructions: Choose a criminal offender who committed crimes due to a biological reason. Write a 1,400- to 2,100-word paper discussing the genetic or physiological evidence that supports the notion that biology played a key role in explaining the offender’s criminality. Research the behaviors that constitute psychopathy. Discuss in detail the specific behaviors demonstrated by the offender that align with behaviors indicative of a psychopathic individual. Case examples include the following:
- Andrea Yates and the documented evidence of psychiatric issues, including post-partum depression, prior to the murders of her five children
- Charles Whitman, known as the Texas Tower Sniper, and the presence of a tumor discovered post-mortem alleged to have played a role in his overt acts of aggression
- John Hinckley, Jr. and the documented evidence of psychiatric issues leading to his controversial insanity defense in the shooting of President Ronald Reagan Include at least four peer reviewed references.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
CJA 314 Week 3 Individual Assignment Examining Theory Paper
Instructions: Resource: CJ Criminology: Theories of Crime videos.
- Social Structure Theories
- “Theory Explained”
- Social Process Theories
- “Theory Explained”
- Social Conflict Theories
- “Theory Explained” For this assignment, you will choose from the following options.
- Option 1: Social Structure Theory Paper
- Option 2: Social Process and Social Development Theory Paper Read the instructions in the University of Phoenix Material: Examining Theory and select one option to complete the assignment. Include at least two peer reviewed references. Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
CJA 314 Week 4 Individual Assignment Policy Issues
Instructions: Resource: Films on Demand videos located in this week's Electronic Reserve Readings:
- "Drug Control in Central Asia"
- "Crackdown on Corruption"
- "Child Exposure to Domestic Violence" Resource: University of Phoenix Material: Policy Issues for this assignment, you will choose from the following options.
- Option 1: Microsoft® PowerPoint® Presentation
- Option 2: Podcast
- Option 3: Paper Read the instructions in the University of Phoenix Material: Policy Issues and select one option to complete the assignment. Include at least two peer reviewed references. Format your work consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab
CJA 314 Week 5 Learning Team Assignment Criminology in the Future Paper and Presentation
Instructions: Resource: Victims’ compensation websites in your state. Resource: Criminology in the 21st Century:
- Criminology Interviews: Director and Chief of Victimization Stats
- Terrorism: A Study in Public Safety Resource: Films on Demand videos located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings:
- “Sleeper Cell Networks”
- “Advantages and Disadvantages of Surveillance”
- “What is Biometrics?” Research the following:
- U.S. Patriot Act
- The Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003
- Homeland Security Act of 2002 Write a 2,100- to 2,400-word paper addressing the following:
- Future directions of crime fighting and its role in social policy implication
- The potential for specific crime-fighting methodologies, such as using biometrics, implementing cybercrime spyware, or mandating DNA collection programs
- Evolving law enforcement and forensic technologies used to detect criminal activities
- Possible civil liberty or ethical violations as they relate to the evolving technologies you included in the paper Discuss how the evolution of crime fighting may affect social policy from national and international perspectives. Consider how the evolving technologies relate to national and international policymaking. Develop a 10- to 15-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation that includes major points from the paper. Include detailed explanations in the speaker notes section that correlate with each point. Include videos, audio, photos, diagrams, or graphs as appropriate. Format the paper and presentation consistent with APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
CJA 314 Week 5 Learning Team Evaluation
Instructions: Submit the learning team evaluation.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.