BSHS 385 Week 3 Individual Assignment Interpersonal Communication
Instructions: Effective interpersonal communication skills can support the building, development, and maintenance of therapeutic relationships. Listening, demonstrating positive regard, building rapport, displaying empathy, and minimizing distractions are all techniques that can build and create a caring, safe, and supportive therapeutic environment. Read the following scenario: A client comes to your office without an appointment. The client, a 40year-old female, has been working to gain custody of her two, school aged children. She is visibly upset, crying and yelling on her phone. She enters your office, indicating the court hearing for her children has been rescheduled due to her missing an important home visit. She has asked you contact the courts to advocate on her behalf. Although this is outside the realm of your role, you would like to show the client you are interested in supporting her concerns. This assignment has two parts: Part 1: Script Write a 700- to 1,050-word response to your client that demonstrates positive regard, empathy, and listening skills. Use what you have learned to identify how to gain her full attention, show interest, and minimize distractions. Include in your paper a script of how you would respond to the scenario - your paper MUST have background information on interviews and the script. Focus your discussion on how you will show your client the following concepts:
- Positive regard
- Consider the value of positive regard and empathy in building rapport
- Building rapport and displaying empathy
- Listening for comprehension and gaining information
- Gaining attention and showing interest
- Minimizing distractions and barriers
- Importance of note taking Part 2: Video or presentation - the video is REQUIRED! Online Campus Students Record yourself reading your script using a Webcam or camera phone. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your paper and video file. If your file is too large, you can post the video on YouTube and submit the link to the video. Local Campus Students Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your paper and be prepared to present your script in class.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.