ARTS 125 Week 1 Individual Assignment Shifting Views of America Assignment Options
Instructions: Resources: Review your Week 1 readings and videos. For your Week 1 Assignment, choose one of the options listed below. Option A Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper on how art reflects the society in which it was made that responds to the following:
- What image of America was communicated by the innovations and buildings presented at the 1883 Chicago's World Fair? How was this image communicated?
- How and why was the art produced by the Ashcan School different from that of the Gilded Age? To what changes in social history were artists reacting?
- How is art a reflection of society? Explain with at least two examples to illustrate the relationship between art and society. These two examples may be from the text or of your own selection. Discuss the subject or theme of your selected works. Format your paper according to appropriate course level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
Option B Create a timeline of 7-12 milestones in art and architecture that illustrate the transition from the Gilded Age to the era of the Ashcan artists. Each work selected for your milestones must be accompanied by a 90- to 175-word description addressing the following:
- How is your milestone reflective of society of the late 19th century?
- How is your selected work representative of either the Gilded Age, or the early modernist era as embodied by the Ashcan School?
- What is the subject or theme of your selected work? How is this theme representative of American society? You may submit your timeline in a Word document, PowerPoint® or use another tool such as Time toast or Timeline JS. Format your assignment according to appropriate course level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
Option C Choose one of the following works for discussion of a theme present in the Week 1, Ch. 5 and 6 readings:
- The sculptures commemorating the Haymarket Square incident
- The Statue of Liberty
- The Court of Honor or "White City" of the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition of 1893
- Mary Cassatt's Modern Woman
- Henry Tanner Ossawa's The Banjo Lesson
- A painting or print by John Sloan Discuss the theme (subject) of the work and address the following in a 700- to 1,050-word paper:
- What is the context in which the work was created? How was it reflective of the social changes underway during this era?
- What was the subject or message of the work, and why was it important to the artist to create? What ideas or points of view was the artist communicating with their work?
- How was the work representative of the values of either the Gilded Age or the Ashcan School artists? Format your paper according to appropriate course level APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.