ACCT 504 Final Exam Solution
(TCO A) Which one of the following is an advantage of corporations relative to partnerships and sole proprietorships?
Reduced legal liability for investors
Harder to transfer ownership
Most common form of organization
(TCO A) When a corporation distributes a dividend, _____
the most common form of distribution is a cash dividend
the Dividends account will be increased with a credit
the Retained Earnings account will be directly increased with a debit
the Dividends account will be decreased with a debit
(TCOs A, B) Below is a partial list of account balances for Cerner Company
Prepaid insurance 500
Accounts receivable 2,500
Accounts payable 2,000
Notes payable 3,000
Common stock 1,000
Under the accrual basis of accounting, revenues are recorded and reported _____.
When companies receive payments for jobs performed or products provided
When companies have provided products or performed services
When companies receive payments prior to providing products or performing services
When companies receive payments after providing products or performing services
In a period of increasing prices, which inventory cost flow assumption will result in the highest amount of net income?
The average cost method
Payne Corporation issues 100 twenty-year, 6%, $1,000 bonds dated July 1, 2010, at 94. The journal entry to record the issuance will show a _____.
Debit to Cash of $100,000
Credit to Bonds Payable of $94,000
Credit to Premium on Bonds Payable of $4,000
Debit to Discount on Bonds Payable of $6,000
What did Cerner Company show as total credits?
(TCOs B, E) Using accrual accounting, expenses are recorded and reported only _____.
when they are incurred, whether or not cash is paid
When they are incurred and paid at the same time
If they are paid before they are incurred
If they are paid after they are incurred
(TCO D) Three companies report the same cost of goods available for sale, but each employs a different inventory costing method. If the price of goods has increased during the period, then the company using _____
LIFO will have the highest ending inventory
FIFO will have the highest cost of goods sold
All three companies will have the same value for ending inventory
average cost will have an ending inventory value that falls between FIFO and LIFO
(TCOs A, E) Equipment with a cost of $192,000 has an estimated salvage value of $18,000 and an estimated life of 4 years or 12,000 hours. It is to be depreciated by the straight-line method. What is the amount of depreciation for the first full year, during which the equipment was used 3,300 hours?
(TCOs D, G) Joyce Corporation issues 1,000 ten-year, 8%, $1,000 bonds dated January 1, 2007, at 102. The journal entry to record the issuance will show a _____.
Debit to Cash of $1,020,000
Debit to Discount on Bonds Payable for $20,000
Credit to Bonds Payable for $1,020,000
Credit to Cash for $1,000,000
(TCO C) Accounts receivable arising from sales to customers amounted to $80,000 and $70,000 at the beginning and end of the year, respectively. Income reported on the income statement for the year was $240,000. Exclusive of the effect of other adjustments, the cash flows from operating activities to be reported on the statement of cash flows is _____.
(TCO F) One variation of the horizontal analysis is known as _____.
(TCO F) Comparisons of data within a company are an example of the following comparative basis.
(TCO F) Which one of the following is not a characteristic generally evaluated in ratio analysis?
Marketability of the product
(TCO F) Short-term creditors are usually most interested in assessing _____.
(TCO F) Long-term creditors are usually most interested in evaluating _____.
(TCO G) To calculate the market value of a bond, we need to _____.
find out the present value of all of the future cash payments promised by the bond
calculate the present value of the principal only
calculate the present value of the interest only
multiply the bond price by the interest rate
(TCO A) Below you will find selected information (in millions) from Coca-Cola Co.’s 2012 Annual Report:
1. Using the information provided prepare a Balance Sheet. Separate the current assets from non-current assets and provide a total for each. Also separate the current liabilities from the non-current liabilities and provide a total for each.
2. Using the Balance Sheet from your answer above calculate; Current Ratio, Days in Inventory, Average Collection Period, Return on Assets Ratio, Debt to Total Assets and Return on common stockholders’ equity ratio. (Make sure to show all your work)
(TCO B) The following selected data was retrieved from the Wal-Mart, Inc. financial statements for the year ending January 31, 2013:
Using the information provided above:
1. Prepare a multiple-step income statement
2. Calculate the Profit Margin, and Gross profit rate for the company. Be sure to provide the formula you are using, show your calculations, and discuss your findings/results.
(TCO C) Please review the following real-world Hewlett Packard Statement of Cash flows and address the 2 questions below:
1) Please calculate the percentage increase or decrease in cash for the operating, investing, and financing sections and explain the major reasons for the increase or decrease for each of these sections.
2) Please calculate the free cash flow for 2012 and explain the meaning of this ratio.
4. (TCO D) You are CFO of Goforit, Inc., a wholesale distribution company specializing in emerging technologies. Your CEO is a brilliant marketer, but relies on you to explain issues and choices in accounting and finance. She has heard from other members of a CEO organization to which she belongs that a company’s net income can vary widely depending on which accounting choices are made from the “GAAP menu.”
Assuming the goal is to maximize net income, choose an accounting treatment from each of the following scenarios, and explain to your CEO why the choice will produce the desired effect on reported Net Income for the current year. Include in your answer the effect of the choice on both the income statement and balance sheet.
1. Goforit carries significant electronics inventory in a competitive environment where prices are actually falling. Which inventory valuation method would you choose—LIFO, FIFO, or average cost? Assume that unit purchases exceed unit sales.
2. Goforit has a large investment in warehouse equipment including conveyor belts, forklifts, and automated packaging systems. Which depreciation method would you choose: Straight line (SL) or double declining balance (DDB)?
(TCO F) Please review the following real-world ratios for Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer for the year ended 2012 and address the 2 questions below.
1) Please explain the meaning of each of the Pfizer ratios above.
2) Please state which company performed better for each ratio.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.