ACC 564 Final Exam Guide
1) Which of the following statements below shows the contrast between data and information?
A) Data is the output of an AIS.
B) Information is the primary output of an AIS.
C) Data is more useful in decision-making than information.
D) Data and information are the same.
2) Information is
A) basically the same as data.
B) raw facts about transactions.
C) potentially useful facts when processed in a timely manner.
D) data that has been organized and processed so that it’s meaningful.
3) The value of information can best be defined as
A) how useful it is to decision makers.
B) the benefits produced by possessing and using the information minus the cost of producing it.
C) how relevant it is.
D) the extent to which it maximizes the value chain.
4) An accounting information system (AIS) processes ________ to provide users with ________.
A) data; information
B) data; transactions
C) information; data
D) data; benefits
5) Information that reduces uncertainty, improves decision makers’ ability to make predictions, or confirms or corrects their prior expectations, is said to be
6) Information that is free from error or bias and accurately represents the events or activities of the organization is
7) Information that does not omit important aspects of the underlying events or activities that it measures is
8) When two knowledgeable people acting independently each produce the same information, this information is said to be
9) Data must be converted into information to be considered useful and meaningful for decision-making. There are six characteristics that make information both useful and meaningful. If information is free from error or bias and accurately represents the events or activities of the organization, it is representative of the characteristic of
10) An accounting information system must be able to perform which of the following tasks?
A) collect transaction data
B) process transaction data
C) provide adequate controls
D) all of the above
11) Which of the following is not an example of a common activity in an AIS?
A) buy and pay for goods and services
B) sell goods and services and collect cash
C) summarize and report results to interested parties
D) recording of sales calls for marketing purposes
12) Which of the following is not one of the components of an AIS?
A) Internal controls and security measures
C) Procedures and instructions
13) One group that relies on both the adequate collection and transformation of data for decision-making purposes for an organization is
B) interested outsiders.
D) the government.
14) The primary objective of accounting is to
A) implement strong internal controls.
B) provide useful information to decision makers.
C) prepare financial statements.
D) ensure the profitability of an organization.
15) The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) has recognized the importance of AIS and the major impact information technology has on the area of accounting. To recognize individual CPAs who have met educational and experiential requirements in this area, the group formally created the designation known as
A) the Certified Management Accountant.
B) the Certified Information Technology Professional.
C) the Certified Internal Auditor.
D) the Certified Data Processing Professional.
16) The AIS must include controls to ensure
A) safety and availability of data.
B) marketing initiatives match corporate goals.
C) information produced from data is accurate.
D) both A and C
17) A change in the AIS that makes information more easily accessible and widely available within an organization is most likely to first influence the
A) organizational culture.
B) customer base.
C) external financial statement users.
D) production activity.
18) The process of creating value for customers is the result of nine activities that form a
A) value chain.
B) profitable operation.
C) successful business.
D) support system.
19) The value chain concept is composed of two types of activities known as
A) primary and support.
B) primary and secondary.
C) support and value.
D) technology and support.
20) Which of the following is a primary activity in the value chain?
D) marketing and sales
21) In value chain analysis, what is the activity of arranging the delivery of products to customers called?
A) outbound logistics
B) inbound logistics
22) An AIS provides value by
A) improving products or services through information that increases quality and reduces costs.
B) providing timely and reliable information to decision makers.
C) creating new products.
D) both A and B
23) In Chapter 1, Figure 1-4 shows the factors that influence the design of AIS. The diagram shows a bi-directional arrow between the organizational culture and the AIS. The reason for this two-way interchange between organizational culture and AIS is
A) that the AIS should not influence the values of the organizational culture.
B) because the organization’s culture influences the AIS, and likewise the AIS influences the organization’s culture by controlling the flow of information within the organization.
C) due to the transfer of managers between the two corporate elements.
D) the AIS impacts the organization’s key strategies.
24) An example of inbound logistics would consist of
A) the activities that transform inputs into final products or services.
B) the activities that help customers to buy the organization’s products or services.
C) the activities that provide post-sale support to customers.
D) the activities that consist of receiving, storing, and distributing the materials used as inputs by the organization to create goods and/or services it sells.
25) A good example of how an AIS is used to share knowledge within an organization is
A) the use of a corporate database to help staff identify the relevant experts who can help with a particular client.
B) the use of laptop computers to access a network for messaging worldwide.
C) the monitoring of production equipment to watch for defects.
D) the use of point-of-sale data to determine hot-selling items.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.