BSHS 485 ENTIRE COURSE
BSHS 485 Week 1 Individual Assignment Community Change and Advocacy
Instructions: Advocacy is an important part of community change, and the human service professional plays a critical role in this process. In this assignment, you identify the role of the human service professional in advocacy and social change. Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper in which you discuss the purpose of advocacy and how it effects social change. Include the following:
- Determine the principles and purpose of advocacy.
- Explain how advocacy affects social change.
- Describe the role of the human service professional in advocacy.
- Include two to three examples of advocacy and how they have affected social change. Include a minimum of two sources. Format your paper according to APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
BSHS 485 Week 2 Individual Assignment Letter to the Community
Instructions: The first step in promoting social change is to gain awareness of the need for the change. In this assignment, you inform the community of the identified need for change and how you determined this need. Consider an issue in your community that may require social and community change. Imagine you have conducted a needs assessment and identified the need for social change within your community, and you have been tasked with informing the community. Review the "Writing the Basic Business Letter" resource, located on the OWL at Purdue website. Write a 350- to 700-word formal letter to your community to inform them of the need for the change. Include the following:
- Explain how a needs assessment works, and how it helped you identify this need for change.
- Describe the issue in your community that has sparked the need for social and community change.
- Describe what this change would mean for the community, and advise the community that more information is to come. Format any citations within your letter according to APA guidelines. Submit your letter to the Assignment Files tab.
BSHS 485 Week 3 Individual Assignment Persuasive Presentation
Instructions: Now that you have informed the community of your proposed changes, it is time to obtain their support. In this assignment, you advocate for this change by presenting your proposed changes to your community members to gain their support. Imagine you have been asked to present your ideas at a community meeting. Create an 8- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation to persuade members of the community that the proposed social changes in the community are needed. Include the following:
- Describe the current state of the community and the changes that you are proposing.
- Explain why this change is needed.
- Identify what is needed from the community for this change to happen.
- Describe the benefits to the community that would result from this change. Include detailed speaker notes for each slide. Format any citations within your presentation according to APA guidelines. Submit your presentation to the Assignment Files tab.
BSHS 485 Week 4 Learning Team Assignment Developing a Coalition
Instructions: There are different methods of addressing community needs. In this assignment, your team is responsible for working together to develop a community coalition to address the need for a tobacco control program. Imagine your team conducted a community needs assessment and determined that there is a need to develop a tobacco control program in your community. Your team has decided that the best way to begin is to develop a coalition, and you must present this idea to your community leaders. Review the Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs: User Guide, produced by the Center for Tobacco Policy Research at the George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University in St. Louis, to assist in developing a plan to organize and implement the Tobacco Program Coalition. Create a 15- to 20-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation that describes the steps you will take to develop the coalition, implement it, and ensure it is sustainable in the community and beyond. Include the following:
- Explain the history and core values of the coalition.
- Describe the need that propelled this coalition.
- Describe the mission, vision, and purpose.
- Describe the steps you will take to develop the coalition.
- Describe the leadership structure and philosophy of the coalition, and how each of the skills of a good leader as defined in the Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs: User Guide, will be demonstrated.
- Explain how you will implement the coalition.
- Discuss how you will sustain the coalition in the community.
- Explain how the success of this coalition will benefit other communities. Include a minimum of two sources. Include detailed speaker notes for each slide. Format any citations within your presentation according to APA guidelines. Submit your presentation to the Assignment Files tab.
BSHS 485 Week 5 Individual Assignment Action Plan for Community Change Signature Assignment
Instructions: Now that you have informed your community, and persuaded them to be a part of this change, it is time to create an action plan to implement this change in the community. In this assignment, you create an action plan for implementing change, and demonstrate the role of the human service professional in advocating for change. Review steps 3 through 7, as well as the examples listed under the "Examples" tab, in Related Toolkit 5, "Developing Strategic and Action Plans," of the Community Tool Box, and Ch. 2, "Theoretical Frameworks for Community Change," of Promoting Community Change for assistance with this assignment. Consider the need for social change within your community that you identified in Week 2, and the steps you have already taken to advocate for this change in Week 3. Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper describing your action plan for creating that social change. Include the following:
- Explain the identified need for change and the mission of the project. (PSLO2)
- Select and justify a model of community change from Ch. 2, "Theoretical Frameworks for Community Change," of Promoting Community Change (e.g., locality development, social planning, or social action) that would support the mission of the project and address the identified need. (PSLO1)
- Identify the behavioral and population-level objectives to describe the changes that should occur within the community. (PSLO2)
- Describe the strategies for how the mission and objectives will be accomplished. (PSLO4)
- Identify the action steps to implement the strategies to accomplish the mission and objectives. (PSLO3)
- Describe how your values and attitudes related to the field of human services will help to create this social change. (PSLO5) Include a minimum of three sources. Format your paper according to APA guidelines. Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.